Friday, December 14, 2012

Checking Off the Bucket List

 The Light Show

The Hong Kong Laser Light Show is definitely a must see when you visit Hong Kong. There is a show every night, so you have no excuse for missing it. I guess that was my excuse for procrastinating so long to see it. The show is composed of lasers shooting from the top buildings, as well as the lights and flashing company logos, all coordinating with music. The best place to see this light show is from East Tsim Sha Tsui near the Avenue of starts. 



In all honesty, the Light show wasn't the most spectacular thing I've ever seen, but I'm glad I got to say I saw it. I hope someday in the near future they will coordinate it so more buildings will participate. I expected to see all the buildings in the financial district of Hong Kong island illuminating in synchronicity, but only a few buildings showed up for the show. I'm not that disappointed because I know there is still a lot of room for improvement. 




Chung King Mansion



To get to this melting pot of African and South Asian culture you have to take the MTR to Tsim Tsai Tsui and get out at exit C. Once you make your way into Chung King Mansion there are a myriad of venders selling items such as cell phones, suitcases, and even hair products. Like most places in Hong Kong with venders, there are a lot of people selling the exact same thing. One great thing about Chung King Mansion is that you can also find a lot of great cultural food.


It was here that I bumped into Dixon, the Organizational Secretary of the African Community, who I originally met during Hong Kong Baptist University's International Festival. He told me that the head quarters of the African community was strategically located directly across the street. If that's not convenience I don't know what is. He also told me that I can get some great Ghanaian food from the 11th floor. 

I wish someone would've taken a picture of me because my face lit up with the possibility of getting to taste a home cooked meal to relieve my home sickness. To my disappointment they didn't have Ghanaian food persay, but they had staple foods from the African continent such as rice, tomato stew, fufu and a variety of different soups. I can't really complain because I was definitely glad to now know where Chung King Mansion is and know I can always go there to get my fix of African food. Although I didn't get the chance to go to the African community that day, now I know where it is and I can always go there....eventually!

1 comment: