Thursday, September 20, 2012

Sick In Hong Kong...What a tragedy

So I realized today that I have been slacking on posting blog entries so I have to ask for your forgiveness. I have an entire list of things to blog about....More entries will be coming soon.

Anywho, I've been feeling under the weather for the past two days. My symptoms include soar throat, runny nose, head aches, and physical weakness. In other words, I've been coughing so hard its making my throat dry and there was one point when my head hurt so much I felt like I could do telekinesis (start moving stuff with my mind). At first I couldn't understand how I got a cold. I honestly thought I would get a stomach virus before I got a cold. It's 90 degrees every single day! It wasn't until I talked to one of my professors that I realized it happens to many foreigners.  I have what is called a "summer cold." You get this when you sweat a lot due to the hot climate and then go indoors with air conditioners. I guess it wasn't a good idea to turn up the AC before I got to sleep. At least now I know how to save money because I have to pay for the AC every time I use it anyway

After missing two days of allowing myself to suffer and missing one class I finally decided to go the clinic on campus. (Quick side note about missing class before I continue: I'll have you know that a lot of the locals in Hong Kong wear medical masks whenever they feel sick as a way to prevent spreading their sickness. This is because of the SARS outbreak in the past. Many locals fear the spread of disease and we were admittedly advised not to go to class if we felt sick.)  So I went to clinic on campus and I after an hour of waiting I received "consultation" from the doctor and medication all for $30 HKD which is approximately $3.8 USD all without insurance. Imagine walking to the hospital and asking to be treated without insurance in the US and expecting to pay on $3.8, that would be a miracle. To make a long story short I was given three medications and cough syrup and asked to take 4 dosages a day for 3 days and I should be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment