Thursday, September 20, 2012

What is culture shock because I still don't know.


Thank God for the diversity in New York City and the variety of cultures represented at Babson college for helping my transition to Hong Kong go so smoothly. Honestly, I feel like I’ve been l've been in Hong Kong for almost two days already and surprisingly I don't feel ANY culture shock at all. I honestly feel like I can take a bus and I'll be back in New York. I know I told myself that I did not think if I could ever live anywhere else besides the US, but I can definitely see myself living here. It feels like a very large version of Chinatown in the US. 

Before I start talking about how it feels to be a student in Hong Kong, I want to point out a few differences:

For starters the exchange rate between the Hong Kong dollar and the US dollar is 7.7 to 1 so for every USD I have 7.7 HKD.  This means I have a lot of buying power, which I have been taking advantage of lol!! As hard as it was for me to believe, I have already spent about $500 in less than two weeks. I've been telling myself that its because I need to buy all the essentials and I'll start spending less money, but I really hope that's true.

 Next  I'll talk about the restaurant scene. So there are a myriad of different restaurants here that serve full meals of good food for less that $10 USD. You can even get a good meal for less than $5 USD. I'm no restuarant connoisseur, but I know what I like and so far I've loving everything...except the ox tongue, which was not what I expected. Just to recap what I just said, I ate ox tongue for the first time. For all you Africans, and Latin Americans this may not be that big of a deal, but for me it was a leap of faith. Honestly, it wasn't that bad. I just feel like it wasn't prepared properly. I also ate a dragon fruit for the first time.

 To continue what I was saying about restaurants, at every restaurant, they serve hot tea with the meal unlike in the US where they serve cold water. If you want cold water you have to specify that you want cold water because if you just ask for water, the person serving you will probably serve you hot water. The first few times this happened to me I thought there was miss-communication due to the language barrier but I was informed that I would have to specify. Also if you want to thank your server for the tea, you just tap your pointer and your middle finger on the table twice. (For the sake of brevity, if you want to learn more about why people tap their fingers when tea is poured you can read this article http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chineseteaandliquor/f/finger-tapping.htm). Another aspect of the dining culture that I can't help but say I feel in love with is the fact that you don't have to pay your server a tip. It is seen as disrespectful to pay a tip. Not say that I am cheap or anything (cough cough), but I'm trying to be more frugal to stretch out every cent that I have here.  One thing that made my jaw drop was when I went to the mall and saw that Pizza hut was considered fine dining. To get into a Pizza Hut, you have to wait outside to be directed to a table before you are served. This is truly culture shock.

One major thing that I have observed is how structured the culture is here. For example, I went to the movies the other day and on my ticket it had an assigned seat like professional sports game. Also since the culture emphasizes more community right instead of individual rights, the police have a right to arrest and detain you without cause. So I can get arrested for not doing anything at all, but from what I hear that almost never happens. Most of the crime here is intelligent crime. I will be blown away the day I see a public fight here. 

To wrap things up, I want to point out a few not so shocking aspects of culture the culture.One they drive on the opposite side of the street. Most people don't throw away their garbage in fast food restaurants. I went to KFC once and everyone just walked out with their trays still on the table. Finally littering is a huge offense, you can be fined up to $5000 HKD for litering. Although I haven't seen anyone get fined for that, its still something to be conscious of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment